This is hands-down one of my most favourite meals of the now. For months I was all “paleo is a cult” and “cross fitters all turn into cavemen with this paleo crap.” But the more I started embracing my sugar free diet I realised how similar it was to the paleo diet. It is basically avoiding processed rubbish. So I joined this great paleo Facebook Group called NOM NOM PALEO and have discovered some of the most amazing meals. Mostly this one, this lemon chicken that is not your usual Asian lemon chicken. I would go so far as to say Australian tasting, caveman tasting, basic and bloody delectable.
Now I can’t give all the love to Nom Nom Paleo, they shared the original recipe off the wall of another superb site I am now obsessing over……..SHUTTERBEAN – superb site and so visually dynamic and aesthetically delightful. So much love and passion in that site. An inspiration.
This has no Asian flavours, as mentioned, and is so simple, so easy, so cheap and so bloody scrumptious. The combination of the beautiful chicken thigh fillet meat tenderness and the acidity of the lemon plus the sweetness of the oil, onion and herbs is tastebud tantalising.
I love this dish so much I could nearly write poetry to it haha. I have cooked it twice now and made a mild mistake on the second attempt. I put in more chicken but the same amount of sauce and its flavour blanketing was less. It was just a pity my guests experienced the second dish and the first I devoured myself over three days 🙂
Spacial thanks to my friend and regular house sitter – Tommy – he bought and left me my very first garlic crusher, I have always chopped garlic but wow – this made a difference hahaha – it was awesome 🙂
YOU WILL NEED:
- 700gms boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for pan
- juice of 1 1/2 large lemons, plus 5-6 slices of lemon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt & pepper
- chopped Italian parsley for garnish
YOU WILL NEED TO:
1) Preheat oven to 375F.
2) Lightly drizzle olive oil in a glass baking dish or enamel pan. Add chicken thighs and set aside.
3) In a large measuring cup or bowl mix together olive oil, lemon juice, onion, garlic, thyme and oregano until well combined. Pour onion mixture over chicken thighs and toss to coat.
4) Nestle lemon slices around the chicken and season with salt & freshly cracked pepper.
5) Place chicken into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes (depending on the thickness of the chicken), until chicken is thoroughly cooked and the juice is bubbling. Cover the pan and let chicken sit for 5 minutes and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
6) Serve on top of quinoa, making sure to spoon the juices on top.
Serve with any wine and just enjoy! While the meal says “serves 4” I honestly think a hungry 3 is preferable. However we had cheese nibbles before and not an entree as well.
If you dislike this meal, you should be allergic to one of the ingredients or just mental.