I wanted to do something this weekend that I haven’t done for a long time, develop and post a recipe!! And the recipe that evolved in an afternoon was Kranksy and Greens Mac and Cheese. Spooning Australia and, back in the day, Sydney Table used to be more recipes than restaurants, mainly because I couldn’t afford to eat out back then, but recipes were always a huge passion. The passion stemmed from the need to get creative with either what I had or found at the markets, what lifestyle choices I was making at the time, anyone remember a year of JK Paleo? and how much money I had :). I lost SO MUCH WEIGHT!
Well, my personal brief for this meal was that it had to have, as the protein, German Chilli Cheese Kranskies that I purchased from the amazing kransky lady at the Frenchs Forest Organic Growers Markets (on a side note, this is one of the best markets in Sydney, if you can get there make sure you do and let me know – will give you a list of places you MUST VISIT).
As I have been feeling really tired lately no matter how much sleep I get I knew I also needed greens in this dish, a life of eating out of late has led to a decline in healthier veggies so this was a must, I settled on spinach and broccoli, the best greens you can eat, and from here the cheese part just kept nagging me so Kranksy and Greens Mac and Cheese came about. Chorizo would also work a treat!
YOU WILL NEED for Kranksy and Greens Mac and Cheese:
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
- 2 rashers rindless bacon, chopped into little cubes
- 30gm butter, melted
- 1 small Spanish (purple) onion, chopped
- 250gm Macaroni or other short pasta, cooked – I ONLY use pasta elbows in Mac and Cheese – it’s what Mum did 🙂 but use your preferred Mac pasta
- 2 kranskies of choice, sliced and fried – you could use any sausage meat really, would be really nice with chorizo also!
- 1 1/2 cups grated tasty cheese
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, as they are, no need to do anything with them
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup chopped semi-dried tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Salad or crusty garlic bread or your side of choice, to serve
For Kranksy and Greens Mac and Cheese YOU WILL NEED TO:
- Preheat oven to 180°c (356°f)
- Put the kransky in a small pan to fry, stir regularly, I like to make them a bit crispy
- In a bowl, combine all topping ingredients
- In separate bowl combine all “bake” ingredients.
- Spoon into a large casserole dish
- Sprinkle topping over bake mixture.
- Bake for 40mins
- Serve with a green salad or side of choice
- Enjoy the hell out of it – mine went nice with merlot 🙂
Voila!! Hope you liked my Kranksy and Greens Mac and Cheese!! If you make it please let us know your thoughts in the comments – have you got any improvements from your experience? :).