OK this is getting weird, the COLES mag is getting darn good. It is a total self promoting magazine you can grab free from the store but the recipes are becoming top notch and I have started trying a few out. I cooked this Spinach and Potato soup last week for the parental units when they arrived to stay for the week.
The bonus of recipes in the Coles mag is that every ingredient you can buy in the correct size, like I said, all the recipes are designed to use the goods in the store, the recipe states 4 cups of chicken stock, the stock is sold in 4xcup containers and so on.
I absolutely loved this recipe and wanted to share it, I had it for lunch two days in a row after I cooked it and will be making quite a few more batches and freezing for those nights when you need to be free from cooking. This helps me when I need to be posting articles for the sites.
This recipe is easily Veganated – just leave the cream and chorizo out or use some vegan alternative.
YOU WILL NEED:
* olive oil
* 1x leek – halve it lengthways and then thinly slice it
* 2x cloves of garlic crushed or chopped finely
* 750gms potatoes, peeled and diced – the smaller the better
* 280gms of baby spinach
* 4x cups of chicken stock
* 1x chorizo sausage thinly sliced – leave out of veganating
* 1/3 cup of cream – leave out of veganating the dish
YOU WILL NEED TO:
1) Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan
2) Add the leek and cook over medium to low heat for about 5mins – until soft
3) Add the garlic and cook for another minute
4) Add the spuds and the stock and bring to the boil
5) Lower heat to medium and cook for about 15mins or until spuds are soft
6) While this is going on cook the thinly chopped chorizo in a non stick pan over medium to high heat – get it a bit crispy – when done – squeeze it between paper towel and get as much oil out as possible
7) Stir in the spinach into the soup and heat until just cooked
8) Puree the soup with a stick blender, I also picked up a new one of these from Coles for $10 – awesome
9) Serve with some cream drizzled on top with chorizo bits on top of that
And next time you are in Coles – grab their mag and have a go – easy and delicious and mostly affordable.